Friday, March 03, 2006

American Idol: My Take


Okay, so it was inevitable that I would comment on AI. After all, this blog is about music and literature as I see it, so why not?

So this is my third year watching AI. I didn't watch the first two seasons because, well, I just wasn't interested in what I imagined would be manufactured talent. But I got hooked the moment I heard Fantasia. Oh, that voice...and that stage presence...

Not that I wasn't a Jennifer Hudson fan! The girl has undeniable talent, and I'm pleased to see that she won the Dreamgirls role. Why shouldn't she have the opportunity to shine as well? I wish her well (though I'm not really feeling the whole J-Hud moniker, nah). And Latoya London. The grace, the elegance (in addition to her obvious talent). I see good things for her. Perhaps a more minor career than the others? Successful in her own right nonetheless.

Now this year...let me call it...

Mandisa! Undeniably talented, undeniably beautiful. I think she'll be among the top 5. Whatever the outcome, she should go on to great things, which should include being a plus-size model. I like her style.

Kinnik! Why aren't people seeing what I see? This girl has the talent, the class, et cetera. She won't win, I know that. But she's definitely someone the legendary Mr. Davis (Clive to too-loud Brenna, ugh) should call up after the competition.

Paris! Little Paris. Why does she remind me of a little Fantasia? She's a star in the making, though I don't believe she'll win this competition. What I'm proud of? That she came on the show at all. As the granddaughter of Ann Nesby, I believe she could've gotten a contract through that connection alone. But it seems to me that she wanted to do this on her own merit and that's commendable. (Though telling America your grandmama is Ann Nesby certainly doesn't hurt.) Oh, and if she's smart, she'll be trying to grab up a book deal with the daily journal she's keeping.

Gedeon! Honestly, he looks insane to me. I'm talking straightjacket-worthy! That smile, that hair. But oh, that voice! He won't win, but he can go on to have some sort of career if he plays his cards right. And I believe he will do just that. He's certainly not lacking in confidence.

Sway! Oh, I was so sad to see him go. I know his performance Wednesday was below par (especially after his previous performance...him all in white...that hat...cheverre), but I was hoping he'd stick around. He'll be fine, though. He's got the talent. He's a cutie. And Diddy has probably already called him.

When all is said and done, I believe the two left standing will be Chris Daughtry (though Elliott Yamin might fight him vocally along the way...did yall see him sing Moody's Mood For Love?? every note, every run, every time) and...insert female name here. I honestly can't call that. Maybe it will be Mandisa. Of the females, she has the most stage presence, in my opinion. And I imagine that, with her music degree, she's probably a fine songwriter as well. That to me is the sign of the truest musician.

Time will tell. Meanwhile, you know where I'll be every week. Call me and we can talk about the performances.

But only during the commercial breaks.

No comments: