Friday, March 03, 2006

Tyler Perry and Madea's Family Reunion

I actually got out to see a movie on its first weekend this past weekend! My movie of choice was Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion. Now I'd seen the stage play on DVD and loved it, so I was curious to see how it would play out in the movie version.

I was not disappointed, though it was a little heavier than I thought it would be (I think all the really comical parts were shown in the trailers) but I was still entertained. I left the theatre with a lot on my mind. It was deep...

I want to talk about Cicely Tyson's speech at the family reunion. Poignantly written, and breathtakingly delivered. I wanted to cry, but I don't do that (smile). Is it on the soundtrack? I haven't looked into that. Someone needs to put that somewhere it can be played again and again. Honestly, I didn't know Tyler could pen words like that. While I've been a fan for quite a while now, I didn't appreciate him as fully as I do now.

And Maya Angelou's poem. I loved it so. Another work I'd like to see in writing or hear again and again on a CD.

Lynn Whitfield was amazing as usual. Blair Underwood played his part so well it frightened me. I'd never noticed Rochelle Aytes before this movie. She was wonderful, especially in her scenes with Lisa Arrindell Anderson, who I have always loved. Why she doesn't have a bigger career, I don't know. She's amazing.

But I'm not really reviewing the movie. That's not my purpose for bringing it up here. I'm really just expressing how much I love Tyler Perry's writing, especially on serious issues. I appreciate him so much more now. I truly, truly do. I'm anxious to see what non-Madea material he comes up with.

Tyler (can we roll on a first-name basis?), write on, brother. Write on.

No comments: