Thursday, February 28, 2008

Review: A Raisin in the Sun

I wouldn't have missed Monday night's ABC broadcast of A Raisin in the Sun for the world. Three of my favorite actresses all in one movie? It's a film-lover's dream come true.

Phylicia Rashad
was brilliant as Lena Younger. Just brilliant. Loved her as always. Audra McDonald as Ruth Younger, amazing. The range of emotions she and Ms. Rashad displayed were breathtaking and heartfelt. I honestly don't know how they do it. Sanaa Lathan was captivating in the role of Beneatha Younger, a character I believe was born well before her time. I loved her youthfulness and energy. And those little things she does: the eye rolls and the way she clips her words...those little things added a little something special to her performance.

And then there's Sean Combs. I have to admit, I watched him carefully because I wanted to clown him. But I couldn't. I honestly couldn't. No, I would not call his performance as Walter Lee brilliant. I think that's an honor reserved for actors with that special something. But I thought he pulled it off better than expected. I can't hate on him. I honestly can't. I read somewhere that he pulled from his own early experiences as a man on the grind to make his character believeable. I could see that in his performance. And I have to applaud him for his efforts. Offscreen, though, he's so....*sigh*

As great a movie as it was, I'm told I should see the original with Sidney Poitier (I've only caught bits and pieces over the years). I will do that because Mr. Poitier's talent is incomparable. And then I'll also get the 1989 version with Danny Glover because I'm curious to see what he brought to the Walter Lee role. I've always respected his work and I can't imagine anything less than brilliance from him as well.

So that's my take. And the only other thing I have to say is...can we please have more black movies of this calibre? Please?

No comments: