Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Strength of Kendra

I'm putting the finishing touches on what will most likely be my most important young adult work ever. Considering the range of emotions I experienced while writing K My Name Is Kendra, I doubt I can do this again. Y'all know I suffer from bouts of depression In Real Life. Hard to take on the drama of a book character too!

Sadly, Kendra's story, though fictional, is not a new one. Statistics show that African-American girls ages 12-18 are more likely than all other youths to be victims of violent crimes against their bodies. That violence very often leads to depression, promiscuity, drug abuse, suicide and incarceration. Even more often, the cycle continues.

Our girls are in crisis and it breaks my heart to talk to girls like Kendra--real live girls--who have experienced the same atrocities against their bodies (and subsequently their spirits) that my character did in this book.

But at least there is dialog. And though it's difficult to listen to these all-too-common heartbreaking expressions, doing so is healing. Most especially when accompanied by professional help from a counselor or therapist. Without such help, this breakdown of spirit is carried into womanhood and is made perpetual.

It won't be easy, but I look forward to reaching as many at-risk girls as possible once the book is released in January.

Maybe I'll meet you.

2 comments:

Don said...

Kamichi, I too am currently writing a book. I wish you well in your endeavor. What's even more interesting is your proposed cover? Diane Dorce has a book entitled 52 Broad St with the same cover.

Kamichi Jackson said...

Don...yea, it's one of those cheap stock photos that I didn't purchase exclusively. We actually chose a different cover recently because the general consensus is that a younger model is needed for this project. The good thing is that it gave me an idea of what I wanted for the cover. I just don't have a great visual eye, so I needed a jumping off point and this was it. Thanks for pointing that out, though! I figured this woman's face would show up somewhere else (smile).